Friday, September 18, 2009

The End

Well, the end is near my friends. I'm heading to the Yucatan Peninsula to spend the time remaining as a beach bum. Left San Cristobal and spent literally 24 hours almost uninterrupted on the bus. I've learned my lesson, should never have got that 2nd class overnight bus to save money. It was uncomfortable, hot, and filthy. Slept through my desired stop in Tulum, woke up in Cancun at the end of the line, grumbled and got back on a bus going the way I had just come. Fun times, thank god I'm now within 2 and a half hours of the airport. I never want to ride a bus again. Have been kind of leaving the camera locked up more often recently, having as I do a strong fear of getting it lost or stolen at the very end after going more than 4 months. So, maybe not as many end-of-the-trip pictures as I'd have liked but it was fun being there, believe me!

Tulum is a laid-back little town, basically a dusty mainroad lined with restaurants, tour outfits, souvenir shops, and accomadations. Found a nice little hostel with a DIY BBQ grill and free transport to the beach. The beach here is incredibly beautiful, uncrowded, and stunning views from the water of Mayan ruins on nearby cliffs overlooking the sea. In 10 years i will probably be as crowded and resort-filled as Cancun, Cozumel, and Playa del Carmen but for now seems secluded and quiet.


Woke up this morning and faced an immediate existential crisis, wondering: Who am I? Where am I? Why am I looking at the back of a naked man who appears to be rubbing lotion onto his ass and thighs? Luckily I recovered fairly quickly, without too much difficulty coming up with: Azad Gaffaney Kamali, born 1981 in Seattle. A hostel in Mexico, I've been travelling. Because Europeans are just weird like that. Satisfied with these answers I rolled over and went back to sleep. So, after splitting a couple bottles of rum, a Mexican, a German, a Spaniard, and an American all walk into a bar clutching fistfuls of coupons for free tequila shots...that's it, if there's a punchline I've forgotten it.


Spent multiple days in a row lazing about with friends at the top-optional (giggity) beach sleeping under palm trees, playing soccer, watching kite-surfers and generally vacationing. Roused myself one morning and went on a little tour of some nearby Cenotes which are freshwater holes-in-the-ground connected to one another by underwater cave systems and featuring cool geological features. Me and two nice fellows from Norway and a pair of wonderful Swiss girls spent the morning riding bikes through the jungle and snorkeling in these awesome caves. Was really quite pretty and definitely nice to swim in cold, fresh water. Spent multiple nights at the hostel cooking up burgers, losing pesos at Texas no-hold-em and sipping beers to try and stay cool in the ungodly heat.








All good things must come to an end, and with only a couple days of trip left I headed to Playa del Carmen, just South of Cancun, for some last minute partying and celebrating of Mexican Independence! This place is crazy! It's full of high-end resorts, the beaches are jam-packed, numbers bolstered by the daily cruise ship disembarkations, every conceivable tourist orientated product is being sold everywhere, and there's bars and clubs on every street. Perfect! I'm no longer backpacking but am now officially vacationing for 2 days! The beachfront is lined with beds for gods' sake! Anywhere that boasts a giant Walmart is no longer off the beaten track. The Independence Day celebrations were wild, seemingly a nonstop street and beach party. Had traveled down to Playa with the Swiss girls and we all went out and had a great time. The beach is also very nice and spent two full days on it, playing beach volleyball and recovering from the celebrations. The mosquitoes seem to know they're running out of time to bite me and consequently are taking every opportunity to drink my obviously sweet blood while they still can.


Alas, it's over and after stocking up on duty free tequila I boarded my plane and headed back to native soil. Fairly uneventful trip except my Guatemalan made duffel bag loaded with presents broke open after I cleared customs and was trying to stuff it full of bottles and I had to tie it together with a rope. Go figure. Am so glad I went on this trip, it really was the experience of a lifetime and I think I'm addicted to traveling now as I already have vague ideas of going to SE Asia at the next available opportunity. Hope everyone enjoyed reading my blog and I can't wait to see everyone. Met so many great people on my travels and very much enjoyed their company. Thanks for the good times!

There's so many Americans everywhere! It's disorienting! It's a bit difficult to remember that toilet paper actually gets flushed down the toilet, and that I don't have to negotiate and quote a lower price when buying things to avoid getting ripped off. I'm sure I'll adjust though. So, once again, good to be back and hope you enjoyed the description and pictures of my trip. -Azi

No comments:

Post a Comment